Polaris10

Started by GT_Dave, June 02, 2016, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
 A place to discuss all things Polaris 10 related.

Follow me on Twitter
"Where a goat can go, a man can go. And where a man can go, he can drag a gun." - William Phillips (1731)

Finally, some confirmed news from the dark-side of AMDs Polaris NDA.

WCCFTECH have posted some genuine benchmarks and it all appears rather spectacular for AMD. Now, I say this is confirmed but, it's relying on a third party so until the NDA is lifted and we have more than 1 source, you should still take all of this with a grain of salt but, the source claims the "Reference" AMD RX 480 narrowly outperforms nVidias GTX 980 and AMDs own R9 Fury Nano in the FireStrike Ultra 1.1 benchmark.

If that's true, that's phenomenal performance from a $199 card.

On top of that though, the tester has stated that the RX 480 benchmark was done using an inferior CPU to partner it compared to the comparison benchmarks, on level terms, the RX 480 should do even better.

Further more, this was the reference card from AMD, so, stock core and memory clock speeds, AMD have said in a recent interview that one of their main goals for Polaris was to allow easier and greater Overclocking abilities, how far these go is anyone's guess at the moment, but performance similar to the GTX 980 Ti and Fury X can't be discounted at this stage. That would put it awfully close in performance terms to the GTX 1070.

Source: WCCFTECH

Feel free to discuss.

Follow me on Twitter
"Where a goat can go, a man can go. And where a man can go, he can drag a gun." - William Phillips (1731)

The "benchmarks" I've seen, suggest that yes, it's better than a 390 / 980, but only just.

Plus the 3dMark 1.1 from what I can tell is dx11.

I dont think that we'll see any relative comparisons until the card is out at the end of this month.
AKA Ronin_GTRobin
    rmillis1981
    Lag_5crub

Life - Noun. The thing that gets in the way of gaming.

Quote from: RedBreastGaming on June 15, 2016, 06:38:35 PM
The "benchmarks" I've seen, suggest that yes, it's better than a 390 / 980, but only just.

Plus the 3dMark 1.1 from what I can tell is dx11.

I dont think that we'll see any relative comparisons until the card is out at the end of this month.

Yes, the 3dMark test is DX11, which, actually makes the results all the more impressive. AMDs hardware over the last few years has never really been strong with DX11.

Performance may also be "only just" better than a GTX 980 and Fury Nano but, what makes that so impressive is the price, $199 for the RX 480 vs $500 for the Fury Nano or $412 - $800 for the GTX 980...

Been thinking too, why the change to "RX"? No-one has really discussed it from what I can tell. If you've worked it out already, kudos to you but, those not in the know (conjecture by the way), Roman numeral for 10, so, simple move from R9 to R10(X)?

Follow me on Twitter

News doing the rounds recently saying that there will be no Polaris 10 based RX 490, some people were guessing that this would be covered by Vega 10, I had imagined that if that was the case, it would be a severely cut down Vega 10 chip as currently, all rumors point to the Full Vega 10 chip being a replacement for the Fiji chip (Fury X) and a direct competitor to nVidias GTX 1080 and above (Titan X?).

Now however, Polaris 10 and the RX 480 is starting to make sense, AMD is launching a new overclocking too which is set to include Voltage control and apparently, this is giving AIB (Add-in-board) partners (MSI, ASUS, XFX etc) and users much more control, it's also the entirely opposite direction in which nVidia have been going for the last few years.
Reports are appearing suggesting that Polaris 10 can be overclocked to 1.5Ghz+ (on Air cooling), this would go a long way to explain the pricing ($199-$300) for Polaris 10, comes from.
I'd expect the higher clocked AIB cards to be in the $299 category.

To put that 1.5Ghz+ OC into a bit of perspective, that's Fury X/GTX 1080 Ti territory. So enthusiast quality for mainstream/performance pricing.

As is usual at this stage though, the card hasn't been released yet, so take all this with a pinch of salt. Sounds pretty exciting though :D

Source and original article: WCCFtech

Follow me on Twitter