General nVidia discussion.

Started by GT_Dave, June 21, 2016, 04:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
 A pretty interesting video about nVidias "GameWorks" and the effects it has over time.

https://youtu.be/O7fA_JC_R5s

I've been speaking with a friend of mine on the Sector3 forums who also happens to be a software engineer for nVidia and he's actually (in not so many words) confirmed that this is accurate.

Follow me on Twitter
"Where a goat can go, a man can go. And where a man can go, he can drag a gun." - William Phillips (1731)

Which bit is accurate, Dave?

Screams conspiracy, but actually makes 100% business sense.

This means, 3 years or so, and we'll have to stop patching our nvdia optimised games!!
AKA Ronin_GTRobin
    rmillis1981
    Lag_5crub

Life - Noun. The thing that gets in the way of gaming.

Quote from: RedBreastGaming on July 09, 2016, 10:31:19 AM
Which bit is accurate, Dave?

Screams conspiracy, but actually makes 100% business sense.

This means, 3 years or so, and we'll have to stop patching our nvdia optimised games!!

All of it, pretty much.

Follow me on Twitter
"Where a goat can go, a man can go. And where a man can go, he can drag a gun." - William Phillips (1731)

Given I've just bought a nVidia card, you'd think I'd stop putting them down, right?

This guys sums up my thoughts, feelings and what I know about nVidia and why I route for AMD.

https://youtu.be/ZcF36_qMd8M

As Bo0td said in the GTX 1070 thread though.

nVidia are the only logical choice at the moment for a proper performance card. :(

Follow me on Twitter

Nothing new in that video.

They aren't going to start collaborating with their sales strategy.
AKA Ronin_GTRobin
    rmillis1981
    Lag_5crub

Quote from: RedBreastGaming on July 10, 2016, 06:57:04 AM
Nothing new in that video.

They aren't going to start collaborating with their sales strategy.

What gets me about it though, AMD shares it's software, there is nothing they make that isn't entirely specific to their own hardware where as nVidia tailor everything to suit themselves.
They'd be better off sharing like AMD and progressing software for the industry as a whole, think how much more optimized games would be if both sets of hardware were able to make use of all the development tools.

AMDs tressFX (hair tool) is also much lighter than nVidias Hairworks(??) and lighter on a system. Things as a whole would be so much better if they shared these sorts of things.

One day, nVidias greed and selfishness will come back to bite them.

Follow me on Twitter

If they shared software / development, then that would drive prices down. Great for consumers, bad for business.

Sorry, that's the capitalist accountant in me.

I do agree, it would be better for all, if things were competitive. Only way to truly do that would be to regulate it somehow.
AKA Ronin_GTRobin
    rmillis1981
    Lag_5crub

Quote from: RedBreastGaming on July 10, 2016, 06:16:12 PM
If they shared software / development, then that would drive prices down. Great for consumers, bad for business.

Sorry, that's the capitalist accountant in me.

I do agree, it would be better for all, if things were competitive. Only way to truly do that would be to regulate it somehow.

So why does AMD do it?

Follow me on Twitter

Naivety I guess? I really don't know!!!
AKA Ronin_GTRobin
    rmillis1981
    Lag_5crub

It's purely down to the positions they find themselves in. Being the 'good guys' makes sense from the AMD point of view. They need to appeal to everyone. Nvidia don't, if they did.... they would.